Sunday, May 9, 2010

Gonzo Imperial Porter - Flying Dog Brewery


Gonzo Imperial Porter
Imperial Porter
Flying Dog Brewery Company
Frederick, Maryland

A quick break from my Summer-ale sessions to tackle a horse of a completely different color. I got a random pack from a liquor store by my house, and I'll be knocking them out over the next few days. Good news for you!

Ah Porters, the dessert of the beer world. Chocolately, heavy, and high in alcohol content, this is a real treat after you've finished whatever you've been doing. Porter was believed to have first been just a combination of the three types of ales served in pubs - pale ale, brown ale, and "stale" ale. Today's Porters are a bit more complex than that, thankfully! It tops my list in beer-types, but I don't think I've ever had more than two in one sitting - these are big flavorful drinks that are not session brews.

Flying Dog is a brewery that closely alligns itself with this beer's namesake - Hunter S. Thompson. The art of their bottles is created by Gonzo artist Ralph Steadman and is definitely a unique part of this brewery's line. Available in 45 states, Flying Dog is likely available wherever you are - and with a bunch of awards under there belt, probably a good pick up!

This beer has a lot of taste and is bold character. It tastes rich - like a chocolate layer cake with raisins, and topped with gooey caramel served in a room full of hop-aroma. It's a great example of how well great Hops can work along with great Malts... this beer has the best of both worlds. With 7.8 ABV, alcohol is a flavor, but it fits in with everything else going on. I couldn't bang these out - I don't know if I'd be able to handle a second after the first, but that's fine by me!

Gonzo Imperial Porter makes me wish it was colder out - I could use a drink like this when there is snow on the ground and no place to go. I don't know much about Hunter S. Thompson or else I'd write about how this beer is just like him, but if it truly does reflect his personality ... that guy was tasty!

--Joe

Work Cited:

http://www.flyingdogales.com/Beer-Specialty-Gonzo.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porter_%28beer%29
http://www.camra.org.uk/page.aspx?o=180680

No comments:

Post a Comment