Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hibernation Ale - Great Divide Brewing


Hibernation Ale
Old Ale
Great Divide Brewing
Denver, CO

Today is a thrilling day of firsts! This is my first beer I've reviewed by Great Divide Brewing Co.* and it's the first blog that comes directly from a referral!

My friend Matt took a fantastic voyage to Colorado a while back and made a trip around what might be one of the greatest "beer-zones" in the world. He brought back stories about the incredible views, the nice people, and the excellent beer he had while there. It was Matt who brought Hibernation Ale to my attention.

And for that, I can not thank him enough.

But before I start raving about the beer, let's give credit where credit's due. Great Divide Brewing has got a lot to brag about. There beers have won all sorts of awards, and as far as I know, awards for beer can be hard to come by (notable exception: Blue Ribbons). I've had their Yeti Imperial Stout before (again, thanks to Matt) and I'm glad to have that bottle in my collection, as these guys not only make good beer, they also have awesome art work. Sometimes finding good beer from craft-breweries from far away lands can be a little tough. Today after work, I had to call 6 places until I found one that Hibernation Ale on the shelves... and it sounds like if I didn't act fast they'd be gone. Hibernation Ale is only available from early November to mid-December.

Hibernation Ale is an English-Style Old Ale. Old ale's are sort of a colloquial name given to beers that are stored for longer periods of time, typically in wood barrels (Old Ale, like Old Milk, but not really...). This means there is a longer fermentation period for the beer, which creates the robust tastes of Old Ales. If you plan on keeping it fermenting, you'll need to put in lots of sugars so the yeast have something to work with.

Also, back in the days when sanitation was a luxury and not a rule, storing opened your brew to all sorts of variables. The type of barrel you used would affect the flavor and transitioning from pot to barrel could lead to wild yeasts getting in and causing flavor-mayhem. Today, more and more brewers are using barrels that were once used for bourbons, wines, and other adult beverages in a more controlled way to accentuate the flavor of their beers.

True to the breed, Great Divide starts making this winter beer as early as July, and stores it for up to 3 months in barrels. The result is one of the most flavorful beers I think I've ever had.

And flavorful is a good thing. When I poured it out, I thought it smelled more like a fruit juice (grape or prune, probably) rather than any "ale" smell that I've ever encountered. The first taste took me off guard and betrayed the nose a bit. It's a sweet tasting beer, all dark chocolate, with some brown-sugary and caramel-y flavors, and maybe just a bit of cinnamon. I was surprised at how fast it fills your head up with flavor. It tickled my nose hair, like a strong mint or a careless booger. The after it's gone, it's got a nice hoppy flavor that you can breathe out for a bit, and leaves a trace of booziness. At over 8% ABV, you can understand how the alcohol would linger a bit.

Hibernation is a fitting name for this. Even though the beer takes it's "hibernating" period from July-October, after a few sips, you'll find yourself loosening your collar and getting ready to bunker down for a period of prolonged rest... and this time of year, that's a good thing.

Grab it while you can, you've got a month left!

* I'm sure the name comes from the geological division which passes through Colorado, I'd like to think it comes from The Band.

6 comments:

  1. sounds amazing. how much did it cost you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily - I got it as part of a mixed 6 at a liquor store near my office for a little over $2 per bottle. I saw a 6 pack but didn't get the price. I'd imagine it's around $12. Matt knows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, by the way, is my girlfriend, and we typed this while sitting next to each other because we live in the Future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn that was fast Joe! Eloquent and thorough review as always, and I'm glad you liked this one. Great Divide's got many more awesome beers in store for you. As for the price of a six pack, $12 seems right on the money (har har) from what I can remember. Out of curiosity, which liquor store did you find it at?

    ReplyDelete